5 Steps Talking With Your Kids About Bullying, Bullies, Harassment & Being Tormented
Bullying Is Serious - But There are Bullying Solutions
Bullying can be a painful experience and if the bullying situation is left untreated, it can have significant detrimental effects for a child. Here are five tips to open a dialog with your child to discuss bullying and how they can prevent bullying behavior towards themselves or others.
Bullying, Harassment, Violence, Hitting, Kicking, Pinching, Punching, Slapping, Tripping, Shoving, Isolating, Name-calling, hurtful words, insults, exclusion, rumors,
The first step is learning a little bit about youth violence, cyber bullying and other forms of harassment. You can find lots of resources online or at the Arizona Bully Proof Training blog. Remember that there are different types of bullying.
The next step is sharing with your child about your experiences as a child and emphasizing how it made you feel. This can be a great way to open the door to allow your child to express his or her feelings with you.
- Open dialog: communicate hope and perspective so they learn that it is safe, good and smart to learn to ask for help and guidance. "Never keep quiet about bullying. Your silence is the bullies strength."
- Listen without judgment so they feel safe talking to you and other authority figures who can help
- Teach empathy so they can become self aware and improve emotional intelligence
- Play "what if" so they can make positive safety choices
- Encourage noble behavior so they will step in, step up and help others being bullied
We would like to invite you to consider taking martial arts with your child with our amazing family program. You will build lots of magical memories and have quality time doing something healthy, fun and learning a skill.